What do you think about degrowth?

For everything that relates to society as a whole or in general.
evelynnn

What do you think about degrowth?

Post by evelynnn » Sun May 05, 2019 5:30 pm

Isn't it inevitable that we will need some degrowth in order to become sustainable?

Anything we do pollutes or produces carbon or is detrimental in some way. Recycling, electric cars, green energy, they all produce a LOT of greenhouse gases in the process.

Jako

Re: What do you think about degrowth?

Post by Jako » Sun May 05, 2019 5:40 pm

I agree with you, at our level of technology, it seems clean growth is not possible. All human activity creates pollution or greenhouse gases. No matter our efforts in going green, the reality is, the more people there is, the more crap we put out there.
Jako

Post by Jako » Sun May 05, 2019 5:45 pm

Also, degrowth is intimately linked to depopulation. For the same result on the environment, we can either reduce population or reduce consumption/standard of living for everyone. But I don't think either will be implemented unless the situation becomes overwhelmingly critical (and too late). So I don't know if you can consider it a viable solution.
evelynnn

Post by evelynnn » Sun May 05, 2019 5:53 pm

Reducing consumption would be a great start. I don't know the numbers but there must be a lot of pollution produced just by unnecessary consumption alone. For example, removing planned and perceived obsolescence, over-consumerism (meaning just having a decent standard of living), I'm sure it would make a huge difference.

I understand not everyone is like me, dreaming of living on a self sustainable farm, growing their food and making their clothes. But just being reasonable in consumption would be a great start.
Jako

Post by Jako » Sun May 05, 2019 5:57 pm

We could shift towards a less polluting economy without degrowing. We could shift from consumerism to more education and healthcare, but again, the incentive for the status quo is too powerful to make those changes.
Nelson
Site Admin

Post by Nelson » Sun May 05, 2019 6:16 pm

I too agree that some level of degrowth is almost inevitable if we want to go sustainable. It's a mathematical fact. That is unless we push forward developing the technology to have clean growth but that would require, between other things, capturing carbon and pollution at all stages of production (mining resources, transportation, transformation, assembly, use, disposal, etc) and we are far from doing any of this. But in the future, that could mean growth, technology and a high standard of living could be attainable without a significant footprint.
Jako wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 5:45 pm
Also, degrowth is intimately linked to depopulation. For the same result on the environment, we can either reduce population or reduce consumption/standard of living for everyone. But I don't think either will be implemented unless the situation becomes overwhelmingly critical (and too late). So I don't know if you can consider it a viable solution.
It is a legitimate question to ask ourselves, should we focus only on solutions that have good chances of getting implemented in time?
evelynnn

Post by evelynnn » Sun May 05, 2019 6:21 pm

Nelson wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 6:16 pm
It is a legitimate question to ask ourselves, should we focus only on solutions that have good chances of getting implemented in time?
The more time passes by, the more we need concrete feasible solutions, and time is running out!